[Advaita-l] acceptance of older students into gurukulam for learning vedas etc.

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Nov 8 22:25:13 CST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Ravi Parimi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have always wanted to know if it is possible for men older than 20
> years to enrol themselves in a gurukulam and learn the vedas? From my
> experience and observation, most vedic pundits (and priests alike)
> start their education at a very early age (8-12). Does anyone know if
> it is against a gurukulam's policy to admit students beyond a certain
> age limit?

Why should it?  Study of the shastras is the duty of every Brahmana and it
is better done late than never.  It is better to learn as a boy because
memorization is easier.  So you may be better off finding a tutor rather
than entering some institution.  Plus that way you can also financially
support some vidvan.