[Advaita-l] jnAni

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at citigroup.com
Fri May 21 09:12:11 CDT 2004

Sometime ago (within the last month), there was a posting where the contributor (either Sri Jaladhar or Sri Vidyasankar) had mentioned that Sri Sankara uses the word "jnAni" to even to mean those who have just understood the scriptures and who need further strengthening of conviction for mukti.  I think the quote was from Br. Up.

(I read thru the Sri Vidyasankar's postings on sadyomukti etc.  There is reference to Br. Up 1.4.7.  Is it the same?)

I will also state the reason I am asking.  My teacher was explaining that these could be the starting points where the bhAmati school goes off tangent from panchapAdika of Sri Padmapada.  When I mentioned about this discussion, my teacher requested for the quote.

I have neither read panchapAdika nor bhAmati and hence will not be able to discuss this subject.  I just want the quote from Sri Sankara's works.

Regards,
SVS