[Advaita-l] Advaita and Narakam

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 00:05:40 CST 2004

There's a passage in Shankara's upadeshasaahasrii (Prose part, chapter
1, verse 12), where the disciple says, "I have been giving up
successive bodies assumed among gods, men, animals and the denizens of
hell (= "niraya-sthAna") and assuming ever new ones..."

Strangely, the word "niraya" is a mostly Buddhist term for hell.

Svarga/naraka may simply constitute the experience of pleasure/pain in
various births.

-Kartik