[Advaita-l] Re: purusha sUktam & nArAyaNa sUktam

Raghavendra N Kalyan kalyan7429 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 17:04:04 CST 2004

Namaste Sri Jaldhar,

>The purushasukta is notable in that it occurs in all four Vedas.

Is it that a hymn addressed to purusha occurs in all vedas or is it that the SAME hymn starting with "sahasra SIrshA ...." occurs in all the four vedas?

>In the Shuklayajurveda which is the shakha I am familiar with, the
>Purushasukta and uttaranarayanasukta form the 31st adhyaya of the
>Vajasaneyisamhita.

Which uttara-nArAyana sUktam are you talking of? The purusha sUktam itself contains pUrva and uttara nArAyaNa portions. I was asking about the nArAyaNa sUktam starting with "sahasra SIrsham devam..." Are you talking about the same? Please clarify.

>> 4) As far as my knowledge goes, the purusha sUktam is chanted in >>temples of Lord viSNu. Is there any reason for that?

>Obviously because of the connection with Vishnu Bhagavan.

I am sorry but I did not understand the connection. The uttara-nArAyaNa portion of the purusha sUktam says that the wives of the purusha are hrI and lakshmi. I thought hrI means pArvati.

I have another doubt. Is the uttara-nArAyaNa portion (last six verses) considered as part of the purusha sUktam in the smArta tradition?

>The Purushasukta is part of the karmakanda and not relevant to Advaita
>Vedanta per se.

But aren't there some statements which do express advaita in purusha sUktam? Please refer to Ganesh's post and my previous post regarding this. Given a specific portion of the Sruti, how should we determine whether it is karma kanda or jnAna kanda? What about the nArAyaNa sUktam? Is it karma or jnAna kanda? Sorry about the number of questions.

Thanks & Regards
Raghavendra