[Advaita-l] Ganesha

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 02:48:28 CDT 2004

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

>Another unique thing about the namputhiris is the way they chant the
>vedas. For example, the puru.sa suuktam would be chanted
>(approximately by sound) sahasra"siir.saa puru.s*aha* (note the
>ending) by other South Indians. The namputhiris employ an actual
>visarga even at the end of the sentence, so it would be puru.sah, just
>like in the middle for example adbhyasambhuutah p.rthivyai rasaacca. I
>was somewhat suprised when I heard it being chanted this way.

Could it be due to the fact that the R^ig vedic version of the Purushha
sUkta does not have the "purushhaH" referred to above at the end of of a
half-verse? Rather, it is in the middle of the first half-verse or
hemistich.

I have not had the opportunity of listening to the Nambudiri style of
chanting. Here in Bangalore, two R^id vedic chanting styles are prevalent -
the Sringeri style and the GokarNa style. The Sringeri style sounds almost
like the Krishna Yajurveda style. The GokarNa style, which I believe is also
used in Tamil Nadu,  sounds more different from the Krishna Yajur Veda.
Notably, the elongation of certain vowels is peculiar to this style. Our
family uses the GokarNa style.

Anand