[Advaita-l] Notes on Brahmasuutra I

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 9 21:38:57 CDT 2004

Shailendra,

As you are not a member of the list, your post was held for moderation.  I
approved it as other listmembers may find the topic interesting

While I'm sure Shri Sadananda will answer in due course, allow me to also
answer.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Shailendra.Mishra wrote:

> Shri Sadanandji:
>
> I have read with interest your postings in the Advaitin group and have
> always found it very enlightening. I am a student of Krishna-Yajurvedam
> and have a few questions with regards to grammar of swarams. I have read
> the Taittiriya Pratisakhya and have been able to find answers to some of
> my questions. However, there is a question which I have not been able to
> resolve. The quesiton relates to deergh-swarita, Taittiriya Pratisakhya
> doesn't ever refer to swarita deergha. The rules for marking a swarita
> deergh is very different in Taittiriya Samhita as compared to Rigveda
> (Sakala shakha). My question is what are those rules and where are they
> described. I would be very greatful, if you could answer this for me.
> Please email me directly.

When our Rshis "saw" the mantras (they did not create them) it was over a
span of several generations and in a wide geographical area.  This
accounts for certain dialectical differences in the transmission of mantras by
various shakhas.  shiksha is the vedanga dealing with phonetic and the
shikshas and pratisakhyas of each shakha give the rules for svaras.  In
Vyakarana, the Ashtadhyayi of Panini notes the various ways Vedic
language differs from classical Sanskrit including in the matter of
svaras.  Bhattoji Dikshita gathered together all the Paninian sutras
related to Vedic in a special section of his Siddhanta Kaumudi.