[Advaita-l] About Yajnavalkya of BAU

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 15:21:31 CDT 2004

There is at least one "classical advaitin" who has accepted the
historicity of the YAGYavalkya (Y) episode in the BU. It is in fact one
of the most famous advaitins after Shankara himself -- svAmi
vidyAraNya. In his jIvanmukti viveka, vidyAraNya considers the "state
of GYAna of Y of the BU". VidyAraNya speaks of Y repeatedly as a person
who lived long ago and had debates with various scholars. In fact,
there is no meaning in speaking of the "GYAna of Y" if Y did not refer
to a person at all.

What I'm saying is that svAmi abhinava vidyAtIrtha was giving *one*
view of looking at the "historical" events in the Veda, but I doubt if
it's only view possible in advaita, as evidenced by vidyAraNya's
acceptance of Y as a historical person. In the orthodox pUrva mImAmsA
perspective, where none of the events of the Veda are historical, words
like "indra", "agni" etc., appear as though they are names of gods,
deities etc., but are really only eternal words. See KumArila's
commentary on Jaimini's sUtra 1.1.31, where he points out that none of
the "names" in the Vedas need actually be a proper name, in stark
contrast to VishishhTAdvaita, where "nArAyaNa" is (improperly) taken as
a proper name.

There is also Shankara's commentary on the brahma sUtra 1.3.28.

-Kartik

--- Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com>