[Advaita-l] doubt

latha vidya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jan 28 02:46:17 CST 2004

Hari Om,
Namaste.

When a small child is beginning to learn the number concepts which are abstract, we start with the symbols. And to teach that we use concrete objects - one chocolate, two pencils, three books and so on. And to add and subtract the numbers we use abacus. Then the child slowly learns to compute using tally marks on the slate or paper. Then proceeds to use fingers, then graduates to mental calculations, then answers arithmetical problems in a jiffy! This is an example of how we evolve in our academic learnings. So do we all evolve in our spiritual learning. The most abstract Brahman has to be slowly understood step by step and Acharya out of mercy for us 'marthyaas' has composed innumerable shlokas - some for worshipping the personal gods like Ganesha, Devi, Hanuman etc and some shlokas containing the profound advaitic philosophy, like the shloka "Manobudhyahankaara chittyaadi naaham" to tell us that we are "amarthyaas". According to our state of spiritual evolution we have the
 choice
 to select these shlokas for worshipping or for reflecting upon the formless Brahman. I as a saadhaki have been immensely benefitted by these shlokas. And I can see myself at various stages of spiritual evolution. These shlokas themselves are sufficient to lead one towards the Truth if studied sincerely under a Guruji.

And the question "why do we worship various Gods like Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma"? Here once again we have the choice to worship whichever diety that appeals to our tendencies (vaasanaas). Suppose I am a lover of lot of pomp and luxury, Lord Vishnu with His Shankha, Chakra, Gadha and fully bedecked with jewellery would appeal to me very much and I could similarly worship Him with all the decorations that I would like to make. If simplicity appeals to me, I would rather worship Ishwara Linga with just water as the dravya for abhishekha. If books and knowledge stir me most, I would be happy to worship Sharada. Since our mood and our latent tendencies change from time to time, I indulge in worshipping various dieties to suit my desire. If my worship ends with just decorations and celebrations and relishing of 'prasaadams', I tend to remain at that stage only. Instead, if I were to wonder about the deeper meaning of these symbolisms and have the intense desire to know the underlying T
 ruth
 then it leads you further and further up in the ladder. A Guru can easily identify our state and accordingly he teaches us. As he recognises the progress we are making, he takes us higher and higher and higher............ and we realise "na mrityurnashankha na me jaati bedah pitah naiva me naiva maatah cha janmah nabandhurnamitram Gurornaiva shishyam Chidaananda roopah shivoham shivoham"

"Oh! do I ever reach there"?! we all bemoan. No need to despair. Once we are in the right path, we are sure to reach the destination. Spiritual destiny is never lost. It is always there. It is just a matter of time. Patience and perseverance pay.

Thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts.
Namaste,
Latha Vidyaranya

venkat ramanan krishnan <krish_venks at hotmail.com> wrote:
Namaste,

The crux of Advaita as I understand it, is that God is impersonal. That he
is formless,attributeless, nameless etc. (Please correct me if I am wrong. )
If so, who are Vishnu, Brahma, Siva and why do we celebrate their forms?
In reality if its maya which makes us think that they are Gods and we are
mortals, then once we have the knowledge that we are them(tat tvam asi),
should we still pray? For isn't it also true that Shankaracharya believed
that Knowledge alone is sufficent for salvation? Again, please do correct me
if I am wrong.
In short, would it be corrrect to deduce that the Great Acharyas like
Shankaracharya found happiness within themsleves and composed hymns &
glorified the deities only for the benefit of the common people ?

regards
krishnan
sarve janAh sukhino bhavantu