[Advaita-l] How to approach Sankara's Gita Bhasya?,

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Mon Jan 5 13:30:46 CST 2004

My posting is based on the introduction shankara. Please see
http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m5194.html for a translation.
My emphasis was that they cannot be practised simultaneously. Original text
is available in gita supersite and also in Vidya's second round posting.  My
comments were also based on the commentary of shankara on
iishaavasypanishad.

Also I added that "pravrtti maarga followed as per the guidelines of
bhagavaan,
will either prepare the disciple to undertake nivrtti maarga  or lead
him directly to brahma loka and then to krama mukti (gradual
liberation)." (see http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m14532.html).
Hence, I agree that pravrtti maarga (Lord krishna gives how that has to be
observed, such as via saattvika tyaaga etc.) prepares one for nivrtti
maarga.  But one has to give scope there for krama mukti also.

Adherent of these two are different because, once one starts following
nivrrti maarga (the same person) he/she ceases to follow pravrtti maarga.

My 2c.

Ravi