[Advaita-l] Jnani unable to come out of the stupor?!

latha vidya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Fri Feb 20 00:11:52 CST 2004

Namaste.

Could it be that the Brahma Jnani is the Knower of the Truth but has not been able to get firmly established in It ? It may be like how we wake up from a grand dream, but still can not come out of its aura and hence continue to ponder over the dream for a long time?!  Also, like an actor who gets so invoved in the role that he is playing that at the close of the shooting he is still immersed in the role knowing fully well that he is only an actor playing that role?!

Namaste,
Latha Vidyaranya

S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
What svAmi vidyAraNya means by GYAna (that is different from mukti) is
crystal clear: it is saMyak (perfect/complete) as well as aparoksha
(immediate/direct). aparoksha brahmavidyA is final realization, where
Brahman is not merely known "through the upanishhads" or "through the
upadesha/Ishvara", but as Brahman-itself, directly with no mediacy. It
is in spite of such knowledge that mukti is not yet achieved. I had
posted some relevant extracts from the JMV, which is now at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/public/advaita-l/2003-August/012752.html

Ramana Maharshi has spoken of lack of firmness in Self-realization, but
I don't have the exact references. Vidyasankar had posted a similar
reference in Shankara's commentary on BR^hadaaraNyaka upanishhad.

-Kartik