[Advaita-l] Dharma

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 12:22:31 CST 2004

--- "Kiran B.R." <kiran.br at gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> In fact, that is what I am asking the sanyasi of your definition to
> do: Make me, an ajnAni, perceive that you're working, that's all.
> Don't make me perceive that you're sitting in a cave and consuming
> food grown in my fields without giving any money. Within you, count
> naught the work which I perceive you doing.

You have no clue as to what a sannyAsI is, as per the shAstras.

Just to quote ONE EXAMPLE OF SHASTRA - the Apastamba dharma sUtra
(2.9.21.9-10):
"9. For him (the Samnyasin) they prescribe the following rules).
10. He shall live without a fire, without a house,..."

Note that a sannyAsI is SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED AS NOT HAVING "FIRE" (in
the sense of agnihotra).

Let us look at BG 6.1 again:

anaashritaH karmaphalaM kaaryan karma karoti yaH .
sa sannyaasii cha yogii cha na niragnirna chaakriyaH .. 6.1 ..
"He who, without depending on the fruits of action, performs his
bounden duty, he is a Samnyasin and a Yogin: NOT HE WHO IS WITHOUT
FIRE and without action."

Note that the LITERAL INTERPRETATION OF BG 6.1 IS CONTRADICTING the
shAstras that lay down the renunciation of the fire (of agnihotra) for
a sannyAsI. I've given only ONE EXAMPLE (the Apastamba dharma sUtra)
which lays down the giving up of agnihotra for a sannyAsI. This is by
no means the only shAstra that can be provided as an example, for there
are commandments in the shruti, smR^iti, purANas, etc. that mention the
sannyAsI as having given up agnihotra.

Therefore, from the commandments of shruti, smR^iti, purANas, and
contrasting it with BG 6.1, we have:

1) shruti, smR^iti, purANas - "A sannyAsI shall be without a fire
(agnihotra)."
2) BG 6.1 - "A 'true' sannyAsI is not one who is without a fire
(agnihotra)."

There is a blatant contradiction to all the commandments of shruti,
smR^iti, purANas if you assume that KR^ishhNa is mentioning a sannyAsI
as not giving up fire (of agnihotra). There is simply no way this can
this be a correct interpretation of BG 6.1.

I've pointed out the source texts that lay down the giving up of Karmas
such as agnihotra for a sannyAsI, and I've also pointed out that BG 6.1
when taken literally contradicts the shAstras.

If you still insist that a sannyAsI is one who performs Karmas (such as
agnihotra), I have truly nothing more to say. Please reply to my
posting and have the last word.

Regards,

Kartik