[Advaita-l] Question on Sarpa sUkta of Krishna Yajur veda

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 09:25:54 CST 2004

S. Krishnan wrote:

>Sarpa sUkta of Krishna Yajur veda: Where does it occur? Is it part of
>Samhita/Aranyaka/Brahmana
>Also I recall a panchasat in first prasnam of Aranyakam (Surya Nanmaskara
>Prasnam) ending with "subrahmaNyom"

Ajit Krishnan has answered this. I can only add that in the yajna context,
the AshreShA-nakShatra-iShTi utilizes the mantras related to offerings to
sarpa's (serpents). Also, the 4th anuvAka of the first prashna of the third
aShTaka of the taittirIya brAhmaNa (3.1.4) contains a recommendation for
this iShTi. The devatAs for the AshreShA nakShatra-iShTi are sarpa's and the
AshreShA group of stars.

Anand