[Advaita-l] fundamental (dis)qualifications - beginner's paradox

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram ravi at ambaa.org
Thu Aug 12 09:34:33 CDT 2004

Texts give the prerequisites for the students (aka adhikAri laxaNam) to
indicate that only those who have the qualification will achieve the results
stated in the work. Those who do not have those qualifications should strive
to attain them and understand that their progress depends on it.

It is the case with all darshana-s. For instance, in in yoga, they say that
you should attain perfection in yama and niyama to succeed in subsequent
steps. But it does not happen that way (for most people). Some degree of
progress in steps like prANayama etc. enable one to attain some perfection
in  yama and niyama. It is a highly nonlinear process. But when they say
perfection in yama and niyama is required, it means that sAdhaka should be
intent on that. Swami Vivekananda touches upon this subject in one of his
talks.

If you look at the list archives, you will see we had a similar discussion
on prerequisites for studying brahma suutra, etc.

Ravi

(We have a standing list policy that members should restrict themselves to
two posts per day. Please try to adhere to that).