[Advaita-l] About Yajnavalkya of BAU

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 4 23:42:38 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Yann Le Boucher wrote:

> Namaste
>
> Does anybody can give me more details about Yajnavalkya, the central
> character of the second kandam of the Brihad Aranyaka Upanishad.

In the process of further research into Yajnavalkya and Janaka, I found a
short article in Samskrit called "brief biography of Yajnavalkya"
(saMkshepeNa yAGYavalkya charitaM) by Dinanath Shastri Sarasvata who
produced the edition of Shatapathabrahmana I have.  Apart from what I
already mentioned it reveals the following facts:

His fathers namewas Devarata and his mothers Sunanda

His birthday was either Jyeshta Shukla 10, Kartika shukla 9, or Phalguna
Shukla 5

Apart from those already mentioned, the works ascribed to him are the
populardharmashastra called Yajnavalkya smrti, and a work on yoga or
vedanta called Yoga Yajnavalkya.