[Advaita-l] RE: Homam when it smokes

Prasad Balasubramanian besprasad at lycos.com
Wed Oct 1 00:13:38 CDT 2003

namasthe,

 Thanks a lot for the information. I've three more questions on Homam.

 1) What if the Havis and other oblations given
    to Agni Bhagawan are still there in their
    original form in the Homa/havan kundam after
    the Homam gets over ? Can we continue to burn
    them (using Ghee etc.,? ) and Agni Bhagwan
    would still take these oblations that are
    getting burnt later (after the homam gets over) ?

 2) I read in a book that we can eat the remains
    (of the oblations) in the Homa Kundam, if they are
    not completely burnt. Can someone explain this ?

 3) Can we use the ash of the Homam as Vibhuthi ?
    If the Homam is done to dispose our Karma (which
    is true in case of Srividya), then wont Homa
    Raksha (ash) be just the burnt up negativities of
    ours ? In which case, can that ash be used as
    Vibhuthi ?

 I came to know recently, how Vibhuthi should be made
as per Shastra. The cow-dung of kapila pashu (cow which
is flawlessly golden in colour) should be received
in a bamboo basket before the same falls and touches
the earth. Homam should be done with this and this Homam's ash should be used as Vibhuthi. If someone can
give more details, it'd be very useful.

namasthe
Prasad