[Advaita-l] Re: shrine of a jivan muktha

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:37:39 CST 2003

>  But we have discussed in our list a year ago, that, irrespective of
>whether the fore-fathers are jivan mukthas or not, one should do shrAddham.
>  I've heard
>that Paramacharyal of Kanchi Mutt in Deivathin Kural (Hindu Dharma) also
>tells the same.

We have to carefully see whether the person is question was a sannyAsi, and
if yes, whether there were a wife and children before becoming a sannyAsi or
whether the sannyAsa state was taken up without going through marriage at
all. In the last case, there is no SrAddham to be done. In all other cases,
SrAddham is to be performed. All saMskAras, including funeral related
rituals, pertain to the physical body. So the children born out of the body
of a person who later became a sannyAsi have a duty to perform the SrAddham.
The idea is that we should not shirk the duty of performing SrAddham by
appealing that a forefather was a jIvanmukta and therefore not in need of
this ritual. I'm sure there are more specific answers for complicated cases,
which expert scholars will be able to resolve, but the above is the general
situation.

Vidyasankar