[Advaita-l] Narayana - Word

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Fri May 30 08:36:07 CDT 2003

namaste,

> The point in quoting MahopaniShat was not to support
> the draviDa pATha, instead, to show that the Upanishad
> does not distinguish between Vishnu and Narayana.

I did not agree with Sri Kalyan when he said that Narayana was a different
diety at some point of time. However, I understood from his postings that he
was just referring to SN Dasgupta's theory and drawing some inferences from
that. There is no doubt that Vishnu is identified with Narayana
traditionally.

> NB is known through negative statements such as 'neti
> neti' and not through positive definitions (like in
> the nArAyaNa sUkta).

You are right, I made a mistake. NB is known through 'neti neti' only.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam