[Advaita-l] Re: : ONLY ONE PLACE - Panchikarana ?!

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun May 25 12:35:40 CDT 2003

>  Adhyaropa Apavadabhyam ...is surely genuine. 100 %  Gita Bhashya 13-2.
>Still, a mere presence of this in the midst of other objectionable
>sentences cannot make the hole work genuine.

Au contraire, my point is that the portion of the text that ends with the
"adhyAropa-apavAdAbhyAM" is not Sankara's composition, precisely because he
already quotes it as somebody else's.

>  Let me also remind here, that this Swamiji has very interestingly pointed
>out occasional clash between the Brahma Sutra Bhashya and the
>Brihadaranyaka Bhashya.  ( in Prana Vrithi) See his introduction

The occasional differences between these two works is quite well-known. That
is precisely why I argue that one cannot decide questions of authenticity of
works attributed to Sankara using only the brahmasUtra commentary as the
yardstick.

>to Naishkarmya Sidhi Commentary - Klesha Apaharini.   Please read the
>portion.  Thus, the  presence of a vartika cannot make a work genuine of
>the Great Acharya's.

It is not the mere presence of a vArttika that I emphasize. It is the
similarity, in both thinking and style of composition, between
naishkarmyasiddhi and pancIkaraNa vArttika that I wish to be taken
seriously.

Moreover, strictly speaking, nobody has proved that the same author wrote
the brahmasUtra bhAshya and the bRhadAraNyaka bhAshya, or other upanishad
bhAshya-s. Nobody has proved also that the author of naishkarmyasiddhi is
the same as the author of the vArttika-s on the yajurveda upanishad
bhAshya-s. Arguments about textual authenticity often begin with an
assumption that places the commentaries beyond doubt, while rejecting all
prakaraNa texts, even those that might well be genuine, and then end with
the same assumption reworded as a conclusion.

>  Panchikarana is a must for Samnyasa..is rejected by Sachidanandendra
>Saraswathigal,in a logical way in the above referred work.  This view is
>the view of Yati Dharma Sangraha Kara.

Perhaps not a must, but traditionally accepted within the Sankaran tradition
for many centuries now.

Vidyasankar