[Advaita-l] Re: gauDapAda kArikA-s

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 13:35:55 CDT 2003

> >Also, would you kindly look at verse no. 16, three verses before the one
> >you quoted from the kArikA?
>
>May I know in what way is that going to help?

Because that verse says, "jIvaM kalpayate pUrvaM"

The question is, who is the one who realizes his own self to be Brahman?
"rajjur eveti ... tadvad AtmA" - verse 18. The same person who was deluded
before this knowledge rose, right? "sa eva budhyate" says verse 12. It is in
that sense that the verse 19 then says, "saMmohitaH svayam". It is not the
intention of the kArikA author to say that Brahman is really deluded. It is
only an "as if". On the other hand, if you posit a REAL difference between
jIva and Brahman, in order to say that jIva is deluded but Brahman is not,
then you have to necessarily accept that jIva can never REALLY be Brahman.

Vidyasankar