[Advaita-l] Locus of avidyaa

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 13:35:41 CDT 2003

> > A better solution would be - "Since avidya is ultimately unreal,
> > talking of
> > its locus is useless. It would be like talking about the salinity of the
> > water in a mirage."
>
>It is actually like asking "what is the locus of the mirage?"

That would destroy your own argument. The locus of the mirage is the mind
which is the same as the entity which is being deluded. Mirage itself is a
delusion. Wait till I come to your next point.

>I did not say brahman is deluded. You reached the conclusion that the
>statement "Locus of avidya is brahman" is implying that. It does not.
>brahman can be the substratum for avidya without being deluded by it.  This
>particular aspect is also discussed  in the book on taitiiriyopanishad I
>cited.

You need not say it explicitly. When you say brahman is the locus of avidya
it automatically means that brahman is deluded. Avidya is more than a
superimposition. It is also the mistaken identification of brahman as the
world. Even though the snake was unreal our perception of the rope as a
snake was real. But in advaita-vedanta, we deny even that mistaken
perception (in the case of the substratum being brahman) as being ultimately
unreal. So obviously, avidya includes mistaken identity. In whcih case
saying that brahman is the locus of avidya amounts to saying that brahman is
deluded.