[Advaita-l] Locus of avidyaa

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Tue May 20 12:23:56 CDT 2003

> >- jiva or iishvara cannot be locus of aviydaa because they are caused by
> >it.
> >
> >- hence, the only choice we have is brahman. *
> >
> >- This is not a problem  because avidyaa is non existent and unreal.
>

> A better solution would be - "Since avidya is ultimately unreal,
> talking of
> its locus is useless. It would be like talking about the salinity of the
> water in a mirage."

It is actually like asking "what is the locus of the mirage?"

> >- Because of the unreal nature of avidyaa and real nature of
> brahman, we do
> >not bring in duality by saying avidya has its locus in brahman
>

> But you do contradict vedAnta if you say that brahman is deluded.
> Not even
> as a vyavahArik satya is it acceptable that brahman is deluded.

I did not say brahman is deluded. You reached the conclusion that the
statement "Locus of avidya is brahman" is implying that. It does not.
brahman can be the substratum for avidya without being deluded by it.  This
particular aspect is also discussed  in the book on taitiiriyopanishad I
cited.

My 2c. Corrections are welcome.

Ravi