[Advaita-l] Re: Vishnu in Rig Veda

Sanjay Verma sanjay1297 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 21:39:30 CDT 2003

Pranam to all,

I went to Sringeri Math yesterday and came across this book entitled:

Yoga, Enlightenment and Perfection of His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatheertha Mahaswamigal

As I was perusing through the pages, the following passage found me:

"In 1976, in the course of His evening walk, Acharyal casually chanted this verse and then told me, 'God who is formless and of the nature of absolute existence, consciousness and bliss (saccidananda-svarupah) appears as Shiva, Vishnu, Amba and so on for the sake of His devotees. The form of Narasimha described in the dhyana-shloka is itself suggestive of the actual nondifference between Shiva and Vishnu. That Narasimha is an incarnation is well known. Here, He is spoken of as being with Laksmi, the consort of Vishnu, as bearing the cakra, the weapon of Vishnu, and as having the hoods of Shesa as His umbrella, like Vishnu. Further, He is said to be in the middle of the ocean of milk. This too fits Vishnu. However, Narasimha is presented here, like Shiva, as three-eyed. He bears the pinaka, the bow of Shiva. Further, like Shiva, and unlike Vishnu, Nrasiimha is described as very fair.' "

Also, from BG 10:23, Sri Krishna says that "I am Shankara [Shiva] among the Rudras..."

Hiryana, Outlines of Indian Philosophy, also cites passges in the Vedas indicating a tendency toward increasing monism amongst the apparent pantheon of Hindu deities.

So, it is not surprising that Vishnu and Shiva may be described in ostensibly similar ways in the Vedas. They are but different manifestations of the same Divine.

May peace be upon you,
Sanjay

kalyan chakravarthy <kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
Namaskaaram,

This is with reference to Rig Veda 1.154. It is a hymn about Vishnu. I am
surprised to see Vishnu being praised as a bull and dwelling in the
mountains. Now, isn't it Shiva who fits this description? Can anyone throw
some light on it please?

Best Regards
Kalyan