The sources of authority in Advaita Vedanta

Mon Mar 24 14:03:53 CST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, ravi chandrasekhara wrote:

> Recently there was an article by Mr Gupta,
> Indian ambassador to Finland, which stated our shatras
> prohibit casteism which has led to debates on many
> discussion groups.

A more pertinent subject for debate is why the Indian ambassador to
Finland is expressing any opinion on this subject at all?  By the way, the
fact that he represents an ostensibly "Hindu nationalist" government
should serve as a warning of the dangers of allowing _any_ politician to
stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

In general I am in favor of secularism because history has shown that on
the whole it is good for religion to keep out of politics.  But for the
same reason, I demand that politics stay out of religious matters.