Puranaas

Malolan Cadambi cadambi at HOTPOP.COM
Mon Mar 24 06:26:19 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM>
To: <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: Puranaas

> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, K Anand wrote:
>
> > Dear List members
> >
> > Is it true that Puraanaas are classified as Saatvic, Rajasic and
> > Tamasic? If yes, on what basis? Who classified them so? And which are
> > the respective puranaas.
> >

> Yes it is mentioned in several puranas themselves.  I know for some of

Smartha-s classify the purAna-s in lines of shanmata ideals. Roughly this is
mapped as follows:

1.) PurAna-s praising Vishnu as the para-devata: Eg: Bhagavatam, Vishnu
Puranam, Varaha Puranam,
2.) Praising Shiva: Linga Purana
3.) Praising Skanda: Skanda Purana
4.) Praising Devi: Devi Bhagavatam
5.) Praising Agni: Agni Purana

I am not able to recollect the other. A brief essay about the
classifications of the purAna-s was written by Dr R G Bhandarkar in his
critical translation of the Varaha Purana.

Regards,

Malolan Cadambi