Dvaita and Sophistry - Part 3(Inherent natures of jivas)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 15 10:21:04 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>He further adds (XVII-3)
>that in line with one's own nature does one's shraddhA form, and that
>whatever a person's natural shraddhA, that verily is he (i.e., a person
>with sAttvikI-shraddhA is a sAttvika, one with rAjasI-shraddhA is a
>rAjasa, &c.).  In defining what the natural states of behavior for these
>types of jIva-s are, Krishna adds that they worship differently, the
>sAttvika-s worship deva-s, the rAjasa-s worship yakSha-s and rAxasa-s,
>whilst the tAmasa-s worship ghosts, spirits, and other low entities

But the natures are not fixed for eternity. That should mean a lot for
dvaita.

>so on.  There is no statement in the BG conveying the impression that the
>foods cause the qualities in the persons;

The foods act differently on a person who eats them, thus indicating the
heterogenous action of nature on jivas. The proof follows from the
BG.(Chapter 17)

Foods in the first category promote life, vitality and give strength,
health, happiness and satisfaction. Foods in the second category cause
grief, misery, disease etc. This we see again from experience. Proof -
Onions increase libido. So, saying that foods can cause some qualities has a
more sound logical basis.

Conclusion - Prakriti acts in an inhomogenous way.

Further proof - There are three qualities of material nature. When nature
itself is inhomogenous it cannot be expected that its action on jivas will
be homogenous. Take the examples from the first posting.

jIva; Krishna first says (BG XVII-2) that there are three types of
>shraddhA in the jIva-s, born of their self-same natures (svabhAvajA), and

By experience we see that shraddha in a person is not constant. That means
the individual nature does not remain constant as shraddha is born of
individual nature. Proof once again that the individual natures are not
eternal. That should mean a lot for dvaita.

Best Regards
Kalyan