Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 15:21:26 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>Logically, does not the "offering" and "propitiating"
>depend upon Agni?

No. It does not. Nor does it show that Vishnu depends on Agni, even if your
logic is accepted.

>Therefore, according to Rg Veda 7.40.5, it seems that
>Vishnu is dependent upon Agni...

No, for the logic given by you does not stand.

>Further, I would still appreciate the quote from
>shruti that specifically states that worshipping other
>gods as supreme is really a worship of Narayana.

Otherwise supremacy will have no meaning. If rudra is worshipped as supreme,
then there is no way in which he can be thought of as deriving his strenght
from another entity.

>It is also very possible that I have misunderstood. In
>this case, could you explain how the meaning of Rg
>Veda 7.40.5 leads to the "worshipping of Narayana in
>all gods" concept?

I have explained it here and at many places before. Please read my complete