Vishnu and Shiva

Rolando Santos sivadancer at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 11 15:11:52 CST 2003

Namaste,

Here is a translation of RV 7.40.5 that I got from
sacred-texts.com:

"With offerings I propitiate the branches of this
swift-moving God, the bounteous Visnu.
Hence Rudra gained his Rudra-strength: O Asvins, ye
sought the house that hath celestial viands."

Logically, does not the "offering" and "propitiating"
depend upon Agni? Therefore it seems that Rudra's
strength comes from Vishnu, which comes from Agni,
which ulitmately comes from the sacrificer and his
offerings...

Therefore, according to Rg Veda 7.40.5, it seems that
Vishnu is dependent upon Agni...

Further, I would still appreciate the quote from
shruti that specifically states that worshipping other
gods as supreme is really a worship of Narayana.

It is also very possible that I have misunderstood. In
this case, could you explain how the meaning of Rg
Veda 7.40.5 leads to the "worshipping of Narayana in
all gods" concept?

AUM
Rolando