Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 14:32:02 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>1) Much of your argument hinges upon the statement
>that praising other gods as supreme is really praising
>the Narayana within those other gods. I am curious --
>where did this come from?

Otherwise RV 7.40.5 becomes meaningless.

>3) Nirguna Brahman/turiya is completely untouched,
>therefore calling it Narayana cannot be correct. Even
>calling it "Brahman" or "atman" falls short.

Referring to Turiya, the Mandukya Upanishad says, sa atma, which means
Turiya is Atman.

Referring to the atman, the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says - This Self which
can be descrribed as neti neti (nirguNa brahman).

Dont you find that Turiya or nirguNa brahman is the Atman?

>May be it
>would be more correct to call Narayana and Rudra as
>Saguna Brahman?

SaguNa brahman is not different from nirguNa brahman.

>which IMO,
>is what the contradictions in the Vedas hint at.

Sri Adi Shankara never said that vedas contradict each other.

>that Vishnu's function of
>sustaining/pervading depends upon a creation from
>Brahma and Rudra's function of destruction depends
>upon Vishnu's sustaining that creation, and again back
>to Brahma after destruction. Hence they are all
>inter-dependent

I will accept your argument if you show me one statement from the sruti
which says that Vishnu is dependant on others.

>The ONENESS beyond the three is turiya/Nirguna
>Brahman. Therefore it isn't possible to equate
>Narayana/Vishnu, who is one of the three, as the same.

Oneness has no meaning when there are no two entities. That is precisely the
reason why Turiya is called as Advaitam(negation of duality) rather than
Ekam(which indicates unity.)

Narayana is the Atma, as the sruti says so. So Narayana can be safely
applied to Turiya, as Turiya is the Atma. Thus Narayana is nirguNa brahman.

Best Regards
Kalyan