[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Nagarjuna Siddhartha nagarjunasiddhartha at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 13:25:27 CDT 2003

First, I want to make it clear to the moderators that I am not attempting to discuss buddhism here because the list policy prohibits it. To answer Nomadeva's point -

>That is by your definition. Self-nature of an object is what describes
>the object (roughly speaking). There is no criterion like 'dependency'
>should not be an attribute of that 'self-nature' or its definition.

An object in order to exhibit its self-nature does not need to depend eternally on anything else. Because self nature is its own nature, not that of anything else. So dependency or independency inherently creep in. Do you have a different criterion in mind?

Nomadeva Sharma <nomadeva at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello,

--- Nagarjuna Siddhartha wrote:

> It is surprising that you talk about something called
> "eternally dependant self-nature" because there is no
> such thing. Self-nature of an object, by definition
> cannot be eternally dependant on something else for
> its existence.

That is by your definition. Self-nature of an object is what describes
the object (roughly speaking). There is no criterion like 'dependency'
should not be an attribute of that 'self-nature' or its definition.

One question: Do you have some basis in buddhism? pratItya-samutpAda
vAda? This (wrong) argument comes from there, AFAIK.

Regards,
Krishna

p.s. I am clearing my mails from bottom. If somebody has answered this
question of yours, ignore my mail. Thx.

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org