[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Nagarjuna Siddhartha nagarjunasiddhartha at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 20:56:20 CDT 2003

Dear Jay Nelamangala,

> Ultimate reality  is called  Independent reality in
> dvaita.
> Why do you think we use the term "Parabrahman" all
> the time?
> where we could have used just Brahman.  To indicate
> that
> paratva or ultimateness.

Here is the dictionary meaning of "ultimate"? It is -
"Being last in a series or progression". Your
sentences evidently give us the impression that you
are talking about levels of reality. If that is not
your intention, then please use your words correctly.
Otherwise you will find yourself mis-representing your
school like you have already done by confusing
independence and ultimateness.

> Thanks for accepting that you don't know the
> intricacies of dvaita,
> and at the same time also accusing me of
> mis-representing your
> knowledge of dvaita.

If you are advocating absolute dependance of the world
on brahman, then you are accepting that the world has
no separate self-nature. For it is incorrect to talk
of an eternally dependant self-nature. So by accepting
absolute dependance, you are inherently accepting
unity of essence, which is very much an advaitic
teaching.

The rest of your mail is hopelessly irrelevant to the
topic being discussed. No offence meant here please. I
did not ask you to enlighten me about dvaita. I was
just pointing out your mis-representation of dvaita by
using the word "ultimate reality" instead of
"independant reality" which leads one to think that
you are talking about progressive levels of reality.