[Advaita-l] adhyAsa - part X

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Sat Jun 7 23:10:54 CDT 2003

It is owing to such superposition we have such experiences as
"I have the body",  "This body is mine" etc.  It is possible to
hold that we have got these experiences because Atman and body etc
are just in such relation as substance and quality are. The relation
between substance and quality consists in identity and difference
and its is due to such relation that there are such experiences as
the color of the cloth,  etc.   In the same way,  the realtion between
Atman and anAtman may consist in identity and difference;  and
owing to this relation there may be the experiences like "I have the body"
etc.

But such a position is wrong.   Atman and anAtman are quite different
from each other.    For,  of  these two entities, the former is real
and the latter unreal  and so they cannot be identical.   This is why
we have to hold that Atman is superposed on anAtman and the latter on
the former (itarEtara-adhyAsa).

    In place of the superposition of Atman and anAtman,  each on the other,
we cannot hold that identity (Ekatva) is superposed on these entities
just as it is done on two distant trees.  Otherwise all experience must
point to the identity of Atman and anAtman.   This is not true.
Expressions in use like "my body"  etc., point to the difference between
them.  Therefore we have to understand the superposition in the sense
that identity of Atman is superposed on anAtman and vice versa.

    The expressions that point to the difference between Atman and anAtman
do not negate superposition as such.   They do not presuppose a correct
understanding of the difference between Atman and anAtman.   The knowledge
of the difference between Atman and anAtman can be got only through
philosophy.  So,  such expressions are due to the superposition of Atman
and anAtman,  each on the other.( tAdAtmya-adhyAsa).  But  what is
experienced may be the superposition of identity of Atman and anAtman.
As the result of the former kind of superposition there are experiences like
"my body" etc., and following the latter kind of superposition there are
experiences like "I" which point to the identity between body i.e, anAtman
and Atman.   Both kinds of superposition are not the same.  The former
kind of superposition admits of the usage that points to both identity
and difference but denies the mutual difference (anyOnyA- abhAva);  and
the latter does not give room for the usage that points to difference.