[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 18

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Fri Jun 6 09:45:32 CDT 2003

Dear bhAskar Prabhu-jI,

> your own interpretation to that verse also to uphold your line of
thinking.
> I've seen how you have interpreted the gIta verses 13-13 & 14.  I donot
> know how you interpret Ch.up. 7-25-2 & Ka.Up. - 2-4-5.

It is not "my own" interpretation.   It is my understanding of the
interpretation
given by my school.
It is an interpretation which is consistent in the context  of that
upanishat,
consistent with sootras, and consistent with Geetha.

When we learn those upanishats,  we don't learn them along with their
numbers.   So it is lot easier for me  if you type the shruti vAkya along
with
the numbers.    Ex : Ka Up. - 2-4-5 does not ring a bell at all.
Similarly,  Geetha 13-13 does not ring a bell ( of course I can look up)
if you give me first few words, the rest of the shlOka,  the next few
shlOkas,
the previous shlOka all become vivid, and so its proper context becomes
clear.

Sometimes,  especially in sootras, even the number look up won't help
because different Acharyas have different ways of numbering them.
Then there is mAdhyandina and kANva pATa in shruti.
In brihadAraNyaka   "ushA vA ashwasya..." is given as third adhyAya
in our books,  where as probably it is first adhyAya in your books.

So,  we may be better off quoting the text along with the numbering,
than just numbering.

Regards,