[Advaita-l] adhyAsa - part V

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Mon Jun 2 08:19:50 CDT 2003

Pranams to you too Bhaskar-ji,

Thanks for the reply.   I am glad to hear from you again.

It is a very good point.   In fact,  this was one of the six items
in the list of  "omissions"  I had raised earlier on the web page
content on adhyAsa.    I don't know if I had copied it to you.

The "blueness of the sky"  example is not very different from
the "redness of the sphatika" example.   The blueness of the
sky is perceived only when the sun is present in the sky and
due to atmospherical dispersion and diffraction of sunlight.
If either of these is missing then we see only dark sky
( like at night time).

( I have forgotten physics fundas  :-) ,  physics pundits in this group
can tell us more about the actual process of why only the
blue light in the VIBGYOR specturm gets bent that way
in the atmosphere.  I would like to know the correct physics behind it.

When astronauts walk on the moon,  they only see dark sky
even when sun is present there,  because of the lack of
atmosphere there, so there is diffraction.

So it is incorrect to say *blueness* is superimposed on sky.
All we see is diffracted sun-light as *blueness* of the sky
there is nothing that is superimposed there.