[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 32

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Sun Jun 1 18:46:34 CDT 2003

Dear VidyAshankar,

Thanks for your reply. Your emails are great food for thought.

To interpret  IkshatyadhikaraNa as the refutation
of SAnkhyas' view that jada-prakrti is jagat-kAraNa is not relevant to
the theme of samanvaya-adhyAya.

Even when "prakrti"  is brought up for discussion in prakrtyadhikaraNa,
under I.4.23-27,  BaadarAyaNa is doing "samanvaya" of words such as
Stree, yOni, Sooti, Prakrti.   This is because the whole adhyAya is about
"samanvaya" of various Vedic words.

That is the central  point.  Rest is all details.

> Your interpretation would leave "heyatva" without a referent at all. If,
as
> you claim, there is no mention of sAMkhya at all in sUtra 1.1.5, then the
> question of heyatva (fit to be discarded) does not arise at all.

Not at all.   In the previous sootra "Om GouNaschEt na AtmashabdAt"
nothing that is GouNa is established as the subject matter of jignyAsA.
But it is well known that Atma shabda is also used for jeeva, as jeevAtman.
But Sruti says, "tamEvaikam jAnatha AtmAnam anyAvAcho vimunchatha"
where,  there is a possibility for someone to take Atma to be jeevAtman,
then  "anyAvAcho vimunchatha" may be construed as anything that is not
jeevAtman,  which brings about "hEyatva" on Parabrahman itself.  One may
conclude enquiry into something other than Brahman is Brahma-jignyAsa,
as upanishat itself  by saying "anyAvAchO vimunchatha"  is advising
"hEyatva"
on Brahman.

So, Sri VedavyAsa  negates such a position through this sootra, by
establishing
that "Om hEyatva avachanAccha Om" -  hEyatva on Brahman is not advised by
Shruti or using your words,  "Shrutis do not say Brahman is fit to be
discarded"

>we (vedAntins, especially advaita vedAntin-s)
> say that there is only one, the SOLE, cause of the entire universe,

We are also vEdaantins,  and we also say Parabrahman is jagadEka-kAraNa.

>Nothing that is aSabda is
> accepted as the cause of the universe, including the material universe.

Then what is the cause?  may I ask.