[Advaita-l] Sankara Bibliography

ken knight hilken_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 08:12:20 CDT 2003

> "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
>
> Oh and one book you should look at is the volume on
> Advaita Vedanta upto
> Shankar and his disciples in the Encylopedia of
> Indian philosophies
> editted by Karl Potter. (Sorry I don't have further
> bibliographic info
> right now.)

Namaste all,

'Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies' Volume III,
'Advaita Vedanta up to Samkara and his pupils'.
Ed. Karl Potter  Motilal Banarsidass. 1981 Reprint
1998  ISBN 81-208-0310-8
May I also recommend a couple of small books by Dr
T.M.P Mahadevan published by the University of Mysore.
The first is called 'The Insights of Advaita' and was
published in 1970. The other, whose title escapes me
at the moment, was specifically on Shankara and lists
quotations from his writing.
If you would like to look at one of the more sensible
considerations in comparative studies of advaita in
East and West try:
'Samkara and Bradley, a comparative and critical
study' by S.N.L.Shrivastava published by Motilal i
1968.
'Consciousness in Advaita Vedanta' by William M.
Indich is also a small book but with good insight.
Published by Motilal in 1980. ISBN 81-208-1251-4

I would also recommend 'Shankara and Indian
Philosophy' by Natalia Isayeva...SUNY Press 1993
ISBN0-7914-1281-4.  She has also written a book 'From
Gaudapada to Abhinavagupta' that is excellent but
details are not to hand.

I am not sure if any of these were already on your
list but I am wading through a mass of e-mails so hope
that the above is of help,

Ken Knight