[Advaita-l] New member introduction: Maria Dickson

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Jul 13 11:02:50 CDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, M. S. Ravisankar wrote:

> I am trying to be a better person every
> >day, and to love God above all the tings of the
> >Universe.

But per Advaita Vedanta all the things of the universe are also God.
There is not one atom which is not also Brahman.  So to love God to the
fullest requires loving all things.

Now you maybe wondering how I can justify saying that when a major step
(some would say the true beginning step) in advaitic practice is becoming
a monk (sannyasi.)?  The reason is we should not interpret renunciation as
lack of interest or contempt for the world but as detachmant.  What is
being renounced is the idea of ownership. The monk owes nothing and wants
nothing so he is truly free.