[Advaita-l] Details of AmnAya maTha-s

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Wed Jul 9 15:30:30 CDT 2003

There is a work called AmnAya stotram and I posted a translation of this
text sometime during October - December 1998. If you search the esribe
archive you will find most of the links.

http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/search.html?query=amnaya+stotram

(If the above link line is broken, paste them together as single line)

This text lists a lot of interesting details about the 4 AmnAya maTha-s.
These details include who was the first aacharya assigned to the maTha, who
is the deva, devata, which vedam, what mahaavakyam, etc.

 Just for example, here is a summary of puuri maTha:

http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m5401.html

Deity of sringeri is aadi vaaraha svAmi, puuri is jaggannaatha, badari is
shriiman nArayaNa, and dvAraka is siddeshvara.  All the maTha-s also worship
the shiva linga-s brought back by shankara from kailasha.

Ravi

nagarjunasiddhartha at yahoo.com wrote: ----------

Some more general questions - Is vishNu worshipped as a primary deity (or
one of the primary deities) in any of the maThas? I heard that the South
Indian maThas worship Siva and Sakti alone. Is this true?