[Advaita-l] RE: What does "Hare Krishna" Mean?

Jurek omeganlp at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 13:45:38 CST 2003

Dear Vidyasankar,

Thanks for your patient explanations.  It seems that you were kind to touch very important point, only too often overlooked by Western thinkers, namely, that the knowledge "about" something is radically different from experiential realisation of it.

Those who engage in endless "intellectual" debates seem to overlook that jnAna constitutes necessary condition for having experiential quality knowledge of anything.

>From this point of view, for them, moksha is bound to remain only a subject of intellectual games and endless speculations till it is revealed in the light of jnAna.

Liberaton is not a matter of intellectual debate but a element of the state of realization brought by jnAna.

The other question is: How free is the person you adress in your posts to accept the sastras you were kind to point him to?   As far as I am aware, Advaita tradition is not welcome in the ISKCON centers at all.

Regards

Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Because it can't. There is no "magic spell" that can give anyone moksha.
> >Bondage is caused by ignorance so only the opposite of ignorance can
> >result in liberation. It's not a question of whether one recites one
>name
> >or 100,000, if it is done without jnana it will not avail.
>
>May I know the sastric basis for the above statement?

There are thousands of Sastric statements to the effect that jnAna is
absolutely necessary for moksha.

> >currents as are North Indian Vaishnava movements of which ISKCON is a
> >modern offshoot. In many cases what such people mean by Moksha is also
> >markedly different from what Advaitins believe.
>The moksha of Vaishnavas is different from that of Adavitins. There are 5
>kinds of moksha, that I have heard of. But, interestingly, the goal of
>Krishna conscious devotees is not even moksha which is considered the final
>goal of life by Hindus. They actually look down upon liberation!!!.

Looking down upon liberation clearly marks most of the teachings of the Hare
Krishna movement as being quite non-traditional and of very modern origin.
By looking down upon moksha, you are looking down on what has been promised
by Krishna himself in the Gita (ahaM ... mokshayishyAmi) In any case, it is
beyond dispute that what we mean by moksha is markedly different from yours.
So, why argue beyond a point?

Vidyasankar

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Warm regards,
Jurek

yogas citta vritti nirodhah  P/YS I.2

yoga is the cessation [of identifying with]
the fluctuations [arising within] consciousness

To live consciously is to be committed to awareness
as a way of being in the world and to bring to each activity
a level of awareness appropriate to it.    NB/TAOFC