[Advaita-l] ADMIN: New member introduction: Jurek

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 11:59:22 CST 2003

hariH Om !!

--- Bhadraiah Mallampalli <vaidix at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sri Srikrishna,
>
> >In Sanskrit 'aham' simply means 'I'. As we know
> there is only one 'I',
> >whoever says it.  The >nature/expression/vritti of
> mind is 'ahamkAra'. So,
> >this aham + kAra have to be
> >separated by knowledge and understand that 'kara'
> or 'kartrutvam' does not
> >belong to 'aham' and >it belongs to the mind.
>
> Do you suggest that aham doesn't do anything, and
> that doing belongs to mind
> (manas)? I suggest an alternative.

It is my understanding that 'aham' is not the 'agent'.
But as Isvara, the agency can be thought of, as that
'aham' works with its own sakti. But, when one is
'completely' as 'aham' there is no 'creation either.

> It appears that we may not be able to reduce the
> importance of the kAra
> suffix. kAra is to be translated as maker.

In the case of a 'ghatakAra' etc. there is a
'conscious' entity and a non-conscious' entity
'ghata'. In such a situation you may translate 'kAra'
as 'maker'. Not in the case of 'ahamkAra'. What we are
calling/naming as 'ahamkAra' is inert mental-vritti.
So, it can not be the cause of 'aham'. Otherwise you
may drive to the conclusiion that 'consciousness' came
out of non-conscious' material.

The cause of 'ahamkAra' can only be the will of
'aham'. If we truly wipe out the possibility of a
separate 'Individual Self' or rather say that it is
only a 'mithya'. That mithyatva itself should be
willed by the principle Consciousness.

We also explain that 'prakriti' or 'gunas' themselves
or 'mind' appears from consciousness and disappears
into consciousness, just like in deep sleep.

So, without the 'ahamkAra' being an out come of 'aham'
we can not explain liberation and origin of the
universe.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna