[Advaita-l] Authorship issues - 1

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 13:38:03 CDT 2003

The recent discussion in the thread Vivekachudamani vs. Bhashyas has raised
some important general considerations regarding how to determine whether a
text generally attributed to Adi Sankara is indeed a composition of his or
not. I will try to summarize the various points that weigh in on this topic
in this series of mails.

The full range of texts traditionally attributed to Sankara is perhaps quite
well-known to list members. A brief description is given at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/sankara.html and a fuller list with
texts can be found at
http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_z_misc_shankara/doc_z_misc_shankara.html .

Till recently, Indian tradition, being largely orally transmitted, did not
keep written records as well as some other cultures. In the late 19th and
early 20th centuries, a need was felt for printing a large number of texts
from various traditions. This in turn raised questions of whether all the
texts attributed to prolific authors were actually written by him or were
falsely/mistakenly attributed to them. Doubts have been raised not only
about Sankara's works but also about Kalidasa's poems and dramatic plays,
musical compositions handed down over the centuries etc.

Generally, such questions were raised by people outside the tradition of
pundits and practitioners. The world being what it was till the mid-20th
century, that usually meant the small community of academic scholars,
populated largely by Europeans and to a lesser extent by Japanese and
Americans. With very few exceptions, we may characterize such scholars as
people who were interested in learning ABOUT various texts, but not in
learning FROM them. This contrasts with traditional followers who tend to be
primarily interested in grasping the content and not so much in the external
form. This probably holds true for studies of Chinese, Iranian Greek and
Latin texts and traditions too ... As far as advaita texts are concerned,
the few Indian scholars who involved themselves in these questions did not
get too deeply into questioning authorship. This is partly because they
tended to interested in synthesis, not analysis, and partly because even the
undisputed texts are a large enough corpus to keep entire generations of
scholars busy.

Once a doubt is raised about texts attributed to a famous author, intense
study and analysis is required, from an angle that is quite different from
the perspective of traditional faith. This is perhaps easily accomplished
for those who are not interested in learning from texts, but when their
conclusions are presented to us, they often strike a jarring note. Many of
us on this list carry a dual legacy of having some kind of family connection
with advaita tradition on the one hand, although we may not have a deep
knowledge of the Sanskrit language, and having gone through modern education
according to Western paradigms on the other. We are therefore uniquely
situated in combining the traditional perspective of learning from the
advaita texts with that of learning about and analyzing the authorship of
the same texts. There is already one example, that of Swami Saccidanandendra
Sarasvati of Holenarsipur, who attempted precisely this.

This approach requires us to equip ourselves with (a) a passable knowledge
of Sanskrit, (b) a dispassionate approach towards existing scholarly
publications, (c) a similarly dispassionate approach towards our own
tradition, and (d) courage to face up to conclusions that might contradict
previous scholars/teachers.

In the next post in this series, I will describe the previous scholarly
attempts to address issues of authorship with respect to advaita texts and
the advantages/shortcomings of each point as I see it. At the outset, let me
caution that there are no absolute certainties in my conclusions, only
probabilities. I request list members who might differ from my conclusions
and/or approach to feel free to raise their doubts/objections. I may not be
able to respond to them immediately, but I will get to them eventually.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar