[Advaita-l] Re: Vivekachudamani vs Bhashyas

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Aug 4 22:58:01 CDT 2003

>... my point is that I find absolutely no statement in any of Shankara's
>BhAshhyas
>which comes close to downplaying shAstra *before the dawn of GYAna*.

Perhaps not quite so, but see gItA 2.42 and commentary thereon.

praNAm Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I am not able to catch the point here.  prabhuji I think you are referring
to BG verse yAmimAM puShtitAM vAchaM......nAnyadastIti vAdinaH.  But what
bhagavan referring here is ritualistic part of the vadAs (karma kanda) this
is clarified in 2.45 traiguNya vishayA vEdA, nishtraiguNyO bhavArjuna,
those who attained ultimate gnAna  (brAhmaNa) bhagavan says in verse 46 :
yAvAnarTha udapAnE! sarvataH saMplutOdakE!! tAvAn sarvEshu vEdEShu!
brAhmaNasya vijAnataH!!  A Brahmana with realization has that much utility
in all the Vedas as one who stands at the brink of a sheet of water over
flowing on all sides has for a small reservoir of water.  prabhuji emphasis
here on karmakanda.  Not veda as a whole including jnAna pradhAna
upanishads prabhuji.  This shankara clarifies in brahma sUtra bhAshya by
saying non existence of shruti can be accepted only in the state of
enlightenment.  So, vedAs or no vEdas only after the dawn of knowledge is
it not prabhuji??  kindly clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar