Jaldhar H. Vyas
jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM
Wed Apr 30 19:04:18 CDT 2003
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Ravishankar Venkatraman wrote:
> Could you please list all the 22 incarnations, and a source whee they are
If Bhagavata 2.7 is being refered to, there are 24 and they are:
1. Varaha: In the shape of a boar, He rescued the earth which had sunk
below the ocean.
2. Suyagna: The son of Ruchi Prajapati and Akuti. He became
Indra and with His wife Dakshina fathered the Devas called Suyamas.
3. Kapila: The son of Kardama Prajapati and Devahuti. He was a great
sage and the founder of Samkhya and Yoga.
4. Dattatreya: The son of Maharshi Atri. He was a great sage and the
the avadhuta marga and Shrividya.
5. Sanatkumara, Sanaka, Sadananda, and Sanatana. The mind-born sons of
Brahma. They refused to take part in Creation and became sannyasis.
6. Nara and Narayana: The twin sons of Dharma and Murti. They do tapa
eternally at Badarikashrama.
7. Dhruva: The son of King Uttanapada. Through His tapa, He became the
8. Prthu: The son of King Vena. When His wicked father went to Hell, He
rescued Him and purified the whole earth (which is called Prthvi after Him.)
9. Rshabhadeva: The son of King Nabhi and Sudevi. He became a great
10. Hayagriva: He appeared from the Yagna of Brahma and taught the
Vedas and (Pancharatra) Agamas.
11. Matsya: In the shape of a fish, He rescued Svayambhuva Manu from a
flood that engulfed the earth.
12. Kurma: When the Devas and Daityas were churning the ocean for Amrit,
He took the form of a tortoise to be the base of the churn.
13. Nrsimha: In the form of a half-man half-lion, He saved His devotee
Prahlad from his wicked father.
14. Hari: When the elephant king (Gajendra) was in the grip of the
crocodile that personified maya, Shri Hari taught him Brahmavidya which
15. Vamana: In the form of a dwarf Brahmachari, in three strides He took
away the sovereignity of the Daityaraja Bali.
16. Hamsa: In the form of a swan, He taught Bhakti to Narada Muni.
17. Manu: He inaugrates every cycle of samsara by becoming the Manu of
that age (manvantara.)
18. Dhanvantari: The physcion of the Devas and the founder of Ayurveda.
19. Rama Bhargava (Parashurama): When the Kshatriyas killed His father
the Rshi Bhrgu, He went round 21 times and killed them all.
20. Rama DAsharatha: He rid the world of Ravana and other Rakshasas.
21. Krishna and Balarama: They were born to kill the daitya who had taken
human form such as Kamsa. [note the text explicitly says Balarama is an
amsha of Shri Krishna.]
22. Krshna Dvaipayana (Veda Vyasa): He divided the Vedas into their four
parts and taught them to his students who founded all the shakhas. He
wrote the Mahabharata and the Puranas.
23. Buddha: The Daityas had overcome the Devas by taking up Dharma. He
confused them by teaching them heretical doctrines.
24. Kalki: At the end of the Kaliyuga He will usher in the pralaya and
bring in the next cycle of Samsara.
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>
La Salle Debain - http://www.braincells.com/debian/
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list