Dasa Avatars

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 28 09:10:11 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

Even though Rama and Parashurama were concurrent avatars, they are assigned
the chronology of seven and six respectively, because Parashurama was born
before Rama. So if Balarama is an avatar of Vishnu, then Krishna would be
the ninth avatar, because Balarma was born before Krishna. But Krishna is in
general considered the eighth avatar only. (Many consider Balarama to be an
avatar of Adishesha just like Lakshmana in Ramayana.)

As for devi, we know that she represents the shakthi or energy of nArAyaNa
and therefore cannot be an avatar. Thus we are left with Buddha alone as a
reasonable choice. The argument against Buddha is that he rejects the vedas.
But the argument in favour is that he in not a materialist like Charvaka.

Best Regards
Kalyan