some dharmic questions

Ravi Mayavaram ravi at AMBAA.ORG
Tue Apr 22 15:57:33 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:29:43 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>>Sanjay has given the text of Shankaracharyas' comments on this shloka so I
>won't repeat them.
>
>There are four kinds of people mentioned here.
>
>1 (implied) one who acts with the expectation of results.
>2. One who acts without expectation of results.
>3. The one without fire.
>4. the non-performer
>

>4.  Is really like 1.  Except 1 atleast has optimistic expectations.  4 is
>negative.  He doesn't act because he feels it will be too hard or boring
>etc.

If you read the commentary of shankara (see sanjay's quote "Rid of works is
he also who is free from activities like penance, charity, etc., that are
not associated with the sacred fires.") #4 is not interpreted as you do.
niragnir indicates the abandoning of karma that is associated with sacred
fires and akriyaH indicates the abandoning of those that does not use fire,
such as penance etc. Thus both types/aspects of karma is indicated.
Combined performance of these two types is required, which is indicated in
iishavAsyopanishad as well. Just doing one alone will not help.

I saw a similar reading for akriyaH in  a shriivaishhNava bhaashya (which
condenses the views of both raamanjua and vedanta deshika ).

As shankara points out, this verse 6-1 has to be read along with 6-3.
One has no choice but to do karma till one ascends the peak of yoga, as it
aids him. After that it becomes an impediment and not an aid, hence, has to
be abandoned.

My 2c.

Ravi