Creation theories (was Re: What is the exactmeaning/significance of this?)

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Apr 21 16:42:37 CDT 2003

namaste,

> But the actual
> justification for creation being a dream can come from "tattvamasi".For
> since jiva is brahman in the stage of moksha, and brahman is eternally free,
> it follows that jiva can become brahman if and only if his suffering and
> therefore creation were unreal.

The mANDUkya upanishad however says "ayamAtmA brahma"
which is pretty much
the same as "tattvamasi".

I tend to think of creation as Ishvara's "dream" as
opposed to the jIva's
dream, because there seems to be some qualitative
difference between the
external created world and the world "created" in our
dreams (the former
*seems* to be more real for most people). This is of
course just my
feeling.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam