Re; Antiquity

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Apr 16 23:30:04 CDT 2003

namaste,

>Some traditional sources put Buddha at around 1800 BC
>and Adi Shankara around 500 BC.

Actually, I think that The Buddha's date is pretty accurately established
to be ~500 BC using different dating sources, including some from outside
india. For example, some of the sources used are Ashoka's inscriptions,
Alexander's invasion of India etc. Also, these have been closely cross-
checked with external sources like Heun Tsang (~3rd century BC?) and Fa
Hien (~4th century AD?) (both buddhist scholars and pilgrims to India from
China).

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam