Re; Antiquity

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 19:54:55 CDT 2003

>My understanding was that Buddha lived between 560 and 480 BCE and that
>Nagarjuna lived between the 1st and 2nd centuries CE. If these dates are
>correct then this would mean that Sri Adi Shankaracharya and Buddha lived
>around the same time.  In fact Buddha would have been around 50 when Sri
>Shankaracharya was born.  This would suggest that it is possible that Sri
>Gaudapada predates Buddha.
>
>I request your insights into this – as I am somewhat confused.

The way out of the confusion is to conclude either that 509 BCE is a wrong
date for Sankaracharya, or that 5th century BCE is wrong for Buddha's date.
Which alternative you choose depends on logic, according to me, but I have
found that for most people, their choice goes according to personal
preferences and not logic.

Vidyasankar