Brahma Sutra Baashyam of Srikantha Sivaachaarya

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 10 21:17:44 CDT 2003

Malolan Cadambi <cadambi at HOTPOP.COM> wrote:

>Not true. Nilakanta's Brahma Sutra Bhashya is of Visishtadvaita not
Advaita.
>Appaiya Dikshita reinterprets Nilakanata into Sivadviata.

Well, if we have to get technical about the application of these terms to
Saiva traditions, then yes, it is Saiva Visishtadvaita, which Appayya
Dikshita reinterprets in an Advaitic flavour.

On the other hand, Saiva Siddhanta proper is not Visishtadvaitic in nature,
but more like dvaita. It posits the eternal existence of three separate
realities, pati (Siva), paSu (jIva-s) and pASa (bondage of jIva-s, i.e.
comparable to mAyA/prakRti). And it does not say that pati has paSu and
pASa as attributes, unlike Ramanuja who says that Brahman has cit and acit
as attributes. Rather, pati is quite unconnected and separate.

Vidyasankar