Shri Rudra Prashnam Translation

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 9 21:35:08 CDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 01:04:33 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, N.Suresh wrote:
>
>> Hari om,
>>     I want to know is there any place in web where i can get the
>> translation of sri rudra prashnam translation in english.
>>     It will be helpful for me in understanding the same and then
chanting.

>Is there any reason why it has to be in English?  you are more likely to
>be able to find reliable translations in an Indian language.  Or better
>yet, why not learn directly from some vidwan? Bangalore I'm told is home
>to many maths and eminent scholars.

The Sringeri and other maths here in B'lore have many vedic scholars.
The maths also conduct classes in vedic recitation.

Regarding the Rudram, one of the vidvans in R^ig Veda at the Sringeri
Math, Srinivas Atri told me that just one R^ik of the manyu sukta of the
tenth maNDala (10.83 & 10.84) is equivalent to the entire shatarudrIya
of the Yajur veda.

This is the last R^ik in the sukta, with manyustApasa R^ishi, manyu
devatA, jagatI cchandas, and begins with "saMsR^iShTaM ..."
This is useful to know, especially these days when everyone seems to
be in a hurry in such matters.

Anand