Samadhi and deep sleep.

Fri Sep 13 16:24:13 CDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Jagannath Chatterjee wrote:

> When one stays in samadhi for more than 21 days (many
> would differ here I am sure) the body falls off and
> one merges in the self. Would Sri Shankaracharya call
> *that* moksha?

Just being disembodied is not enough.  There must also be the positive
knowledge of the identity of Self and Brahman.  Or else e.g. Kamadeva who
was burnt to ashes by Shiva Bhagavan would have gotten moksha.

> How would Sri Shankaracharya react to the other types
> of moksha Salokya (going to the abode of the Lord) and
> Samipya (Proximity to the Lord) as described in the
> scriptures?

Shankaracharya does acknowledge the possibility of krama mukti where one
sits at the feet of the Lord (and presumably learns jnana there.)  At the
pralaya, both the jiva and Ishwara will be reabsorbed into Brahman.

> I have never read of Sri Shankaracharya expressing the
> desire of coming back to the mortal fold, though many
> claim they are avataras of Sri Shankaracharya. How
> would Sri Shankaracharya react to this?

The Brhadaranyakopanishad says of the jnani "He goes hence never to
return"  So there is no question of return from moksha.  The brahmasutras
do say there are certain beings who have divine tasks and continue to
assume bodies until those tasks are done.  I'll try and dig up the
reference for you.

> Was moksha the immediate aim of Sri Shankaracharya? (I
> think this is related to the earlier paragraph).

Yes.

> Besides his crusade against a degenerating Buddhism
> and the revival of Hinduism did Sri Shankaracharya
> have any other aim in his mind? (I do not mean a
> hidden agenda!)

I wouldn't even say he had those aims.  They were byproducts of his quest
for moksha.